The mine was
worked in the 18th and 19th centuries for calamine (zinc carbonate), blende
(zinc sulphide) and galena (lead sulphide). In the 1920's it was used as an
underground reservoir by the water authorities. A small stream flows through
the mine in parts. The entrance is actually in someones back garden.
mine is completely different when compared to the Nenthead mines and much more
cramped (we will never complain again). There are 2 parts to the mine, the more
complex eastern area and the easier western. The mine passages are full of
small rises and sumps which also follow natural chambers.
Access to this
mine is only via a locked grill cover. Key can be obtained from local
Our first trip down the mine, checking it
(Charlie and Mike), 26th June 2004.
Final trip to see the rest ofthe mine.
Mike), 25th September, 2004.